Sunday, March 13, 2011

Soprano Sunday!

Today I will be posting the same song with as many interpretations as I can muster, in order to contrast and compare great soprano voices. I will choose my song from the Classic period, an aria that mostly all sopranos perform at least once in their career. The song is "Una voce poco fa" from the Barber of Seville. You will not find many Wagnerian sopranos here, but who knows, I just might dig up a surprise! Here are the lyrics to that song in Italian, then in English. As for the sopranos. I will go in alphabetical order.



UNA VOCE POCO FA


Rosina's aria from Il barbiere di Siviglia:

Una voce poco fa..................... A voice has just
qui nel cor mi risuonò;  ............echoed here into my heart
il mio cor ferito è già,  ..............my heart is already wounded
e Lindor fu che il piagò.  ...........and it was Lindoro who shot.
Sì, Lindoro mio sarà;  ...............Yes, Lindoro will be mine
lo giurai, la vincerò.   ................I've swore it, I'll win.
Il tutor ricuserà,  ..................... The tutor will refuse,
io l'ingegno aguzzerò.  ...............I'll sharpen my mind
Alla fin s'accheterà   ..................finally he'll accept,
e contenta io resterò.  ...............and happy I'll rest.
Sì, Lindoro mio sarà;  ................Yes, Lindoro will be mine
lo giurai, la vincerò.   .................I've swore it, I'll win.
Io sono docile, 
son rispettosa,  ...........................I'm gentle, respectful
sono obbediente, 
dolce, amorosa; ..........................I'm obedient, sweet, loving
mi lascio reggere,
 mi fo guidar.                      ...............I let be ruled, I let be guided
Ma se mi toccano.........................But if they touch 
dov'è il mio debole ......................where my weak spot is 
sarò una vipera............................I'll be a viper
 e cento trappole ........................ and a hundred traps
prima di cedere........................... farò giocar. 
....................................................before giving up I'll make them fall

Translated by Gabriel Huaroc (ghuaroc@usm.edu.ec)

No comments:

Post a Comment