Tuesday, March 29, 2011

THE HELDENTENOR

Heldentenor

A rich, dark, powerful and dramatic voice. As its name implies, the Heldentenor (English: heroic tenor) vocal fach features in the German romantic operatic repertoire. The Heldentenor is the German equivalent of the tenore drammatico, however with a more baritonal quality: the typical Wagnerian protagonist. The keystone of the heldentenor's repertoire is arguably Wagner's Siegfried, an extremely demanding role requiring a wide vocal range and great power, plus tremendous stamina and acting ability. Often the heldentenor is a baritone who has transitioned to this fach or tenors who have been misidentified as baritones. Therefore the heldentenor voice might or might not have facility up to high B or C. The repertoire, however, rarely calls for such high notes. A Heldentenor is sometimes less a true tenor than a baritone with an unusually strong top register. Lauritz Melchior epitomises the Heldentenor sound in this regard.
Heldentenor Roles In Operas & Operettas:[2]


Heldentenor Singers:


[edit]



UNDER CONSTRUCTION

2 comments:

  1. Vilhiamas, I am a year late, but finally I have found a place I can relate to. Since I alternated with James King and Ticho Parly singing Siegmund at Bayreuth in 1966 and was to be Wieland's Siegfried the following year. (He died that winter) However I sang Siegfried and directed it 2 years later at the Liceu where I also sang Siegmund, Tannhauser, Tristan, etc. I also sang Eric with Leonie Rysanek at La Scala. In '68 to '70 I sang in 8 productions of Tristan, Hamburg, Barcelona, Dresden, Koln, Genoa, Hanover, Spoletto and a full film in Brussels. Sang the Ring with Herbert Graf in Geneva, I believe I should be on your Helden Tenor list, but check my www.claudeheater.com if in doubt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claude Heater, I am ashamed to be six years late for this, especially after reading about your brilliant career. Forgive me for not getting my list right in the first place. I am humbled by your taking the time to even write me. Respectfully yours, Vilhiamas.

      Delete