Monday, May 2, 2011

FIRST MEZZO MONDAY IN MAY - "Seguidilla" from Carmen

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

ROOF

SCAFFOLD 1

Here is La Divina singing the Seguedille from Carmen - The immortal Maria Callas!

SCAFFOLD 2

LYRICS:


LA SEGUIDILLA 
From Bizet's Carmen


CARMEN:
Près des remparts de Séville,      Near the ramparts of Seville
Chez mon ami, Lillas Pastia       At the place of my friend, Lillas Pastia
J'irai danser la Séguedille        I will go to dance the Seguedilla
Et boire du Manzanilla.       And to drink Manzanilla.
J'irai chez mon ami Lillas Pastia.    I will go to the place of my friend, Lillas Pastia.

Oui, mais toute seule on s'ennuie,       Yes, but all alone, one gets bored,
Et les vrais plaisirs sont à deux;       And the real pleasures are for two;
Donc, pour me tenir compagnie,        So, to keep me company,
J'emmènerai mon amoureux!       I will take away my lover.
Mon amoureux, il est au diable,       My lover, he has gone to the devil,
Je l'ai mis à la porte hier!       I put him out yesterday!

Mon pauvre coeur très consolable,       My poor heart, very consolable,
Mon coeur est libre comme l'air!       My heart is free, like the air!
J'ai des galants à la douzaine,       I have suiters by the dozen,
Mais ils ne sont pas à mon gré.       But, they are not to my taste.
Voici la fin de la semaine;        Here it is the weekend;

Qui veut m'aimer?  Je l'aimerai!       Who wants to love me?  I will love him!
Qui veut mon âme?  Elle est à prendre.      Who wants my soul?  It's for the taking.
Vous arrivez au bon moment!       You're arriving at the right time!
J'ai guère le temps d'attendre,       I have hardly the time to wait,
Car avec mon nouvel amant,       For with my new lover,

Près des remparts de Séville,      Near the ramparts of Seville
Chez mon ami, Lillas Pastia!      At the place of my friend, Lillas Pastia!

DON JOSE:
Tais-toi!  je t'avais dit        Shut up!  I told you
de ne pas me parler!        Not to talk to me!


CARMEN:
Je ne te parle pas,         I am not talking to you,
Je chante pour moi-même!        I am singing for myself!

Et je pense.     And I'm thinking. 
Il n'est  pas  défendu de penser!       It's not forbidden to think!

Je pense à certain officier,        I am thinking of a certain officer,
Je pense à certain officier,        I am thinking of a certain officer,

Qui m'aime.  Et qu' à mon tour       Who loves me and whom  in turn
Oui, qu' à mon tour, je pourrai bien aimer.    yes, whom in turn,  I could really love.

DON JOSE:
Carmen!!


CARMEN:
Mon officier n'est pas un capitaine;       My officer is not a captain;
Pas même un lieutenant,        Not even a lieutenant,

Il n'est que brigadier,        He is only a corporal,
Mais c'est assez pour une Bohémienne,      But, that's enough for a gypsy,

Et je daigne m'en contenter.        And I deigne to be contented with him.


DON JOSE:
Carmen, je suis      Carmen, I am
Comme un homme ivre,      like a man intoxicated,
Si je cède, si je me livre,        if I give in, if I surrender,
Ta promesse, tu la tiendras?       Your promise, will you keep it?
Ah! si  je t'aime, Carmen,         Ah! if I love you, Carmen,
Carmen, tu m'aimeras?       Carmen, will you love me?


CARMEN:       (with  Don Jose)
Oui, nous danserons la Séguedilla       Yes, we will dance the Seguedilla
En buvant du Manzanilla.        While drinking Manzanilla.

Près des remparts de Séville,       Near the ramparts of Seville
Chez mon ami, Lillas Pastia        At the place of my friend, Lillas Pastia
J'irai danser la Séguidille        I will go to dance the Seguidilla
Et boire du Manzanilla.        And to drink Manzanilla.
Tra. la. la. la. la. etc.

DON JOSE:    (with Carmen)
Chez Lillas Pastia, tu le promets.       At Lillas Pastia's place, you promise.
Carmen, tu le promets!        Carmen, you promise!

CARMEN:
Ah!  Près des remparts de Séville, etc.  Ah!  Near the ramparts of Seville, etc.

BASEMENT


BACK///O///HOME///O///NEXT

No comments:

Post a Comment