Sunday, May 8, 2011

SECOND SOPRANO SUNDAY IN MAY: "Caro Nome" from Rigoletto.

A maiden from 15th Century Mantua in Italy. This could be Gilda in Rigoletto.
La divina Maria Callas sings Gilda's "Caro nome". One of my favorite performances as well as my favorite soprano arias. In this posting we shall also include other wonderful artists as well, like Natalie Dessay. At the end of this program, you can tell me which one is your favorite!
"Caro Nome" 
from Verdi's opera Rigoletto:

--Italian Text-- Caro nome che il mio cor
festi primo palpitar,
le delizie dell'amor
mi dêi sempre rammentar!
Col pensiero il mio desir
a te ognora volerà,
e pur l' ultimo sospir,
caro nome, tuo sarà.


--English Translation--
Sweet name, you who made my heart
throb for the first time,
you must always remind me
the pleasures of love!
My desire will fly to you
on the wings of thought
and my last breath
will be yours, my beloved.


xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment